Thursday, October 05, 2006

Singing behind a headscarf...

I enroled in the after school music class yesterday. I told them I wanted to learn guitar and they stuck me in this band (not a proper band but hey its better than nothing) consisting. Me and this other guy are playing electric guitars, another guy is playing bass, someone on the drums, someone on keyboard and someone singing. In a months time the "band" has to perform The Police - Every breath you take.

I strolled into music and thought I would say hello to people. I walked up to this girl and asked her what she wanted to play and she told me she wanted to sing and be a pop star. ROCK ON HER! The sad thing is that she feels as if her religion is preventing her from becoming that. She is a muslim and just like every other traditional muslim girl, she likes to wear a headscarf and practice her religion.

I personally found it really cool that she wanted to sing so I thought I'd keep on chatting to her. Then it all came pouring out. I don't if its me but when I get chatting to someone all their emotions just come out. I saw a me in her.

Why do some muslims hate Jews.
Why are people suffering in the world.
Why do people judge whats on the outside and not the inside.
Why can't I be a pop star.
Why are people judged and sterotyped.

All these questions thrown at me and all I could see in her was me saying them. This girl was in the year below me so I didn't know who she was, but she was very interesting and inspiaring. She is determined to overcome all stereotypes and become a pop star. She is determined to become a pop star and still wear her headscarf. I just hope she follows her heart! I will buy her records!

3 Comments:

At 12:36 AM, Blogger Sarah YEAH? said...

Such an inspirational story! i really hope she makes it... i would buy her records too!

i see this conversation you had with this girl as a sign to tell you to never give up in what you believe in, and who you are as a person

 
At 1:27 AM, Blogger Roz Lynch said...

Cool post...n cool title...btw has ur band a name?

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Thomas said...

No name Roz!

Its not a proper band! Just people who wanna learn instruments have to join or can't learn!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home