Saturday, November 11, 2006

Walking my dog this morning, with this weeks Big Issue in one hand and a cup of tea in the other. Whilst reading and enjoying the sunshine a little boy passed me with his mum. He smiled. I smiled back. He opened his mouth to show me his missing front teeth and I started to run around in circles. It was a moment of fun for both of us, not for his mum though, who was now trying to clam him down whilst I quickly grabbed my dog and headed home.

I went out with Josh in the evening. We got a bus to Trafalgar Square and walked down to Picadily Circus. I saw a woman selling The Big Issue. It wasn't the same cover as this morning so I just assumed it was last weeks issue as I didn't manage to get that one.

I pulled my wallet out of my pocket and she began walking towards me. I pulled out 2 coins; a £2 coin and a 2 pence piece. I put the 2p back and gave her £2, said a few words of encouragement and walked of with my magazine. A tap on my shoulder made me turn and face the woman again. She held her hand out and in the middle of it was a 2 pence piece. Totaly embarassed with myself that I nearly mugged of a homeless person I quickly went down my wallet and grabbed another £2 coin and gave it to her. After appologising numerous times I made my way down Regents street with Josh. Josh then asks me why I have just given her £4. Just to be sure, I checked my wallet and had £4 less than before bumping into that woman. I checked all my pockets and then it all made sense. The ruddy woman conned me. She saw me pull out the 2 pence and pretended I gave that to her by mistake instead of the £2.

After contemplating whether to confront the woman, I decided to go and tell her off. She denied the whole thing. I wasn't listening to her lies. She said it was against her beliefs. I still wasn't swayed. She even hid her licence from me. It wasn't about the money, she could have it, but it was the fact that she conned me even after I tried to helped her out. Thats what got to me. I wasn't getting nowhere with this woman so I walked off.

We were now about half a mile down Regents Street when I realised that my copy I bought from her wasn't last weeks. Infact it was 5 months old.

So heres my verdict: I was conned my a woman I felt sorry for. I bought a £1.40, 5 month old Big Issue that was still talking about when Steve Erwin was alive for £4. Thats 40% of my wages. Im not buying it from her again!

Please don't be put off from buying The Big Issue for those of you who do. Just dont buy it from a woman wearing a blue hijab and has a mouth of gold teeth.

A more posotive out look (which I agree with) of The Big Issue then check Roz's post - here!

2 Comments:

At 1:01 AM, Blogger Sarah YEAH? said...

even though you already told me the story, reading this post still makes me angry! i dont know how anyone can have the front to do that.

sometimes people like that can knock you back and make you question why you even bother being nice and going good things. but your right in not letting it stop you buy it once in a while, but just be more cautious when you do.

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Sarah YEAH? said...

thomas i am shocked my joshs comment!!!!! and theres me thinking your differnt!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home