Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Standing up for your beliefs!

Last Sunday whilst in church we were congratulating the kids on their achievements of the week. It was Johns turn.

"So John what have you achieved this week" said Christine

John didn't answer

"He was persecuted for sticking up for his beliefs in school" stated John's father!

The hall appluaded and I joined in. I know what its like to be penalised and feel like its only you and the world is against you. So its something I have great sympathy for, whoever is persecuted whether they be Christian, Muslim or Jewish they have the right to freely believe what they wish. Ain't that what free will is all about, making our own decisions and GOD being the judge of them.

I was reading through my bible the other night and came across something that i felt suited what people like myself and John go through sometimes.

"People will insult you and hurt you. They will lie and say all kinds of evil things about you because you follow me. But when they do you will be happy. Rejoice and be glad, because you have a great reward waiting for you in heaven. People did the same evil things to the prophets who lived before you" Matthew 5: 11-12

It then goes on to say

"In the same way, you should be the light for other people. Live so they will see the good things you do and willpraise your Father in heaven" Matthew 5:16

This Sunday just gone, I caught up with John and his father and explained to them how they should always stick up for their beliefs and that I know where they are coming from. I share the extracts with them and ask them one question:

"So, why were you persecuted anyway?"

"I refused to study Islam in school" said John with a cheeky smile looking for my approval!

"OH! Well it also says in the bible that we should respect other peoples beliefs and show understanding. Maybe you could learn and then compare both religions. That would help people understand"

John just ran off to play with his mates. I don't think he wanted an R.E. lesson from me really. I do hope I made it clear what I was trying to put across!

1 Comments:

At 4:38 PM, Blogger Sarah YEAH? said...

interesting, thanks for educating me i will remember them quotes for my re exam!

i think you made it very clear what you were trying to get across. and even though i am not totally sure about my faith at the moment, i can still totally relate and understand those bible passages. it makes perfect sense.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home