Monday, October 16, 2006

The danger of fireworks...

...especially in the wrong hands. This evening I was out with my freind Kelly and the usual suspects where we live were out and about playing games with fireworks. These games consisted of them throwing and aiming fireworks at eachother, or should I just call them explosives. It got dangerous and I couldn't even go to the shops without getting a firework or two thrown at me. One boy lit up a flint on the end of a firework and because it didn't go off, he decided to aim it in his face and shake it to see what was wrong. IDIOT!

Going to Kelly's house, we both had to run because we were really close to having our faces burnt off. This is just a walk from the shop to my freinds house. Then the police turn up. Do the idiots stop throwing fireworks. NO! Do the police do anyhting. NO! I think the police could tell that we felt quite intimedated and that the police were themselves intimedated. They asked us if there was a problem. I would of told the police what the problem was hadn't the big gang of boys, many of them older than me be standing across the road staring at me. For the first time in a long time, I didn't stand up for myself. As much as I wanted to, I just didn't want the hastle in my face. The police just drove off as if there coffee was getting cold.

Once I got into Kelly's house I picked up the phone and rang the police and explained the situation. I feel as if the police could have done more about the situation without me having to say what the problem was. They could see and hear exacly what went on.

Well, here it is. Me and Sarah have both decided to start a petition to ban fireworks being sold. We both feel as if more public displays should be promoted and fireworks are banned from the shops full stop. We should have a petition ready for anyone to sign very soon!

I hope i didn't paint a bad picture of the police in this post. I personally think they are great and I did get a call from them about 2 hours ago saying they will be doing more to deal with the issue of fireworks being used as toys.

8 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Blogger Roz Lynch said...

True...but part of the problem wouldn't be there if adults didn't sell fireworks to young people...there is a law...this is already banned...so perhaps it could be a petition to tell the people who sell fire works to young people the danger they are creating to make a fast buck...perhaps u should ask the young people where they get their fireworks and talk to the sellers or the police could...or we could do some posters/leaflets for firework sellers at club and some of the same to at least reduce the dangers so that the young people who will get hold of fireworks anyway will at least have a clue of how not to injure/kill themselves or others...or we could just stay in for the next few weeks and hope for the best...

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Keeley said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Keeley said...

hay, i was there how comes i didnt get a mention in this post and i thought the fire works where going to blow up in their faces when they were all around it looking at it to see why it didnt go off :(

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Keeley said...

were not where lol

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Thomas said...

lol sorry i didnt mention you keely but there was another incident where me and kelly were in a lot of danger that just triggered this post!

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Thomas said...

true...i went threw that phase when i was like 11. But these people are from the ages of 15-19

Its a bit to late to say its just a phase they go through. Don't you think!!

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Sarah YEAH? said...

reading this post still makes me angry, i dont see what people get out of throwning fireworks at people.

and its a phase that i have never gone through, i have always seen the dangers. i have only gone as far as sparklers!

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Wendy said...

I don't think its good enough just to say "Well, we used to do it when we were young." The main responsibility has got to lie with the people who supply fireworks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home