Saturday, October 21, 2006

Iftar Gathering!

I went to Iftar Gathering on Thursday. A few days before, it was announced in tutorial and I said to a freind of mine that I might go to it. Strait away I wad told by someone else that I couldn't go because I wasn't a Muslim. But I replied that if i can't go then non-Christians shouldn't be allowed to eat Christmas dinner.

Seeing as the religious even was raising money for Muslim Aid I thought I would just turn up, donate some money then go home. When I arrived I was given a ticket and told to go into the assembly hall. I thought I might as well but I didn't know what I was about to walk into. It was a sermon preaching Islamic teachings. I didn't feel comfortable so I was gonna leave but it was too late. All eyes were on me "The white Christian boy". I felt very intimedated.

I wanted to go sit with the girls I know but males and females are seperate so I had to go sit with the guys. Imediate reactions were "what's he doing here", "he ain't muslim" and "he only came for the food". Incase you are wondering, I didn't go for the food!

Well I sat and I learned but then I realised I had to go. The funny thing is, I left the same time as the females which didn't go well with the guys laughing at me. I wanted to post about this the other day but didn't get the chance. I wasn't gonna post it in the end, but about an hour ago I got this email from a freind Rezwana:

heloooo thomas...i'm jus e-mailin u 2 tell u dat YOU ARE THE BEST....do u know y..well..u came 2 da iftar gathering on thursday...and seriously i thought that it was such a respectable thing 2 do. bcoz...u actually took an interst in our religion...thank you!! but u shud've stayed 2 eat sumthing! bt..thomas...ur one in a million! enjoy ur holidayz!! lv ya!! xx

Im glad I went now!

1 Comments:

At 5:30 PM, Blogger Sarah YEAH? said...

that email is so true! well done for plucking up the guts to go, that email in itself must make it all worth while

 

Post a Comment

<< Home