Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Putting your view across...

Tuesday, listening in on a conversation that didn't involve me, I overheard two of my freinds discussing how they were going to meet Gordon Brown this Thursday. Well, I was fuming. The Prime Minister to be was visiting my school in just 2 days and I didn't know about it, I wasn't even invited to meet him. I managed to get all the information I could out of my 2 mates and I was preparing to organise a mass protest for Thursday. I then asked my 2 freinds why they were picked over me (beeing very jelous and angry I couldn't help but ignore the fact that these 2 students are very bright and politically influenced, just like me). The answer I got back from was "I was concidered, but my political background is too extreme and I may argue with the deputy" I was still angry but rather pleased with myself now.

Well, later that day my head master approached me and explained the situation. He said that I have actually now been chosen to meet with Gordon Brown, baring I don't go off track whilst in the meeting. Yea right! So tomorrow I will be meeting Gordon Brown. How exiting!

As part of my plan tomorrow, I am hoping to hand him a bunch of letters and post cards from myself and other people (i.e Roz, Sarah and Tony) Here is a letter I have recently drafted from myself:

Dear Gordon Brown,

Being in the last year of my compulsory education obviously this is a very important year for me and I should be bringing my full atention to passing my exams. Sadly thats not the case for me.

Sadly that is not the case for me and many of my freinds and millions of young Britons up and down the country. How can I and others ever concentrate on getting on with my education whilst hundreads of millions of young people across the world don't even have the opportunity to attend school.

Mr Brown, whilst a child is dieing every 3 seconds because of poverty and 50,000 dieing a day, I can never say we live in a proper democracy. Whilst this country invades Iraq and removes an evil dictator from power (for the right reasons) but still allows Robert Mugabe to proceed his evil dictatorship in Zimbabwe, I can never be fully proud of my country. Whilst 1.3 billion people are living on less than a dollar a day, I find it hard to sleep at night, and whilst there are enough resources on this earth to cater for 25 billion people, I can never understand poverty!

Nelson Mandela once said "you can be that great generation". Gordon Brown, you are the Prime Minister to be, you can be that great Prime Minister. Please, don't look away as others have done so.

Yours Truly,
Thomas Stewart

3 Comments:

At 12:31 AM, Blogger Sarah YEAH? said...

brilliant letter!

you deserve to go tomorrow, cant believe they even considered u now going, despite ur political background. make the most of it, i know u will!

 
At 3:18 AM, Blogger Roz Lynch said...

great letter...don't let them side-track u

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Keeley said...

cool letter

 

Post a Comment

<< Home