Friday, December 29, 2006

Listening in...

I was in Books etc. today buying Danny Walace's Yes Man when a guy came into the store searching for a book as well. As you do!

I couldnt help but listen in on his conversation with a staff member.

"Excuse me, I work with autistic children and I'm looking for a book"

"This way"

I don't know why I listened in on his conversation but seeing as I have an autistic brother I felt like telling him I think what he does (working with autistic children) is great. I stood around for 5 minutes deciding whether or not I would scare him but I thought what the heck!

"Sorry I don't mean to butt in but I over heard you chatting and I have a brother whos autistic and I think its really good you work with them"

"Oh thanks" Giving me thumbs and smiling akwardly as if to wonder what on earth is this wierd guy holding a book with Danny Wallace on it (who is also a wierd guy) is doing talking to strangers.

A few years ago no one had ever heard of autism and people were very rarely diagnosed with it. But today as more awarness being raised through the media (finally something posotive from the media), alot more people are understanding and more people are taking up careers to work with autistic children. Like that man in the book shop!

1 Comments:

At 4:08 PM, Blogger Sarah YEAH? said...

i love this post! im sure he was really happy when you told him that what he does is good, its always nice when people say stuff like that, even if you are not doing the good thing just for credit.

and its true, its great that there is now a much better understanding of autism, even with an autistic uncle i still felt as though i had limited knowledge. and even though i still do i feel as though i now know more, and that there is a much better awearness

 

Post a Comment

<< Home