Thursday, January 04, 2007

Nice to have known you!

I heard that Sid was ill yesterday and within hours I was at his bedside in St. Josephs Hospice. I got to know Sid less than a year ago when he popped in to have a cup of tea at The Salvation Army. He was an interesting guy and we had lots of interesting conversation. At the Hospice there was also Eileen and another of Sid's freinds, also having interesting conversations about Sid and how much he loved life!

A few weeks ago Sid popped in and like always we were sitting down having a chat. I asked him what he was doing Christmas Day and he said he would most probably be at home. I invited him along to join us at Poplar Corps and he asked me if I would be there. I said yes and he agreed to come. When he arrived on Christmas Day it was one of my highlights and he enjoyed a fab meal with another 109 people.

This morning we recieved news from the hospital that Sid had past away last night. Its shocking really because I have never lost anyone of imediate connection to myself. I sat down with my cup of tea and along with other people from TSA we were all rejoicing the amazing life and times we experianced with Sid. I may have only knew him for 6 months or so but I'm glad I got to know him. He was an amazing guy of such character and I thank GOD for allowing me to meet Sid.

When Sid joined us on Christmas Day it was the last time I saw him and he gave me a Christmas Card. I opened it and inside was a fiver as a present for me. I used it to buy Danny Wallaces Yes Man the other day. Thanks Sid for the book, it gives me the same amount of laughs as you did.

It's nice to have known you!


2 Comments:

At 5:06 PM, Blogger Sarah YEAH? said...

This is such a lovely post Thomas, I really get an idea of what sort of man he was from this, he sounds like an amazing individual who is continuing his life free from pain. Sorry to hear of your loss. It sounds as if you made a positive impact on his life as you made his last Christmas a very special one.

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Gordon said...

Sid was a nice guy - it was great you were able to let him invest in your life and vice versa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home