Saturday, January 06, 2007

Give Blood...

Sometimes I wish I was that little bit older. Like 17. Not too old like 23 or something like that because I still wan't to be able to walk, but you know a little more responsibility over my own life wouldn't be too bad! I've tried to eradicate any information on my blog that reveals my age incase someones comes across it and just asumes I'm some silly little kid that has no social life and spends all his evening (while other young people would be watching wrestling) blogging! But hey, I'm me and being young comes with that. Not that theres anything wrong with being young. It's great, but people just seem to be put off taking me too seriously when they realise I'm still in compulsory education (but not for long and I'll be free!)

Today I went to the blood donation centre in Canary Wharf. Not for me of course but in 391 days (not that I'm counting) I should be legally able to help the world that little bit more by giving blood. One of Craigs New Years resolutions for this year was to give blood and he wanted me to come along and support him.

As we were heading to the centre where Craig would donate his pint of blood which could end up saving someones life I began to think in the back of my head whether it would be bad of me to fake my age and join the list of blood donators. I quickly brushed the idea from my head and thought the age barrier must be there for a good reason. I walked into the centre with Craig and he asked me if I would come to the desk with him to help him fill out his forms. A woman greeted us by saying how good it was of us to want to give blood and she thrusted in my hands a clip board with a form to fill out to give blood. Sadly the woman told Craig he couldn't give blood today as he had a Cold Sore. As silly as it sounded you just cant take risks with these things.

I sat down with the form in my hand and my heart began to pound. I must have had a lot to offer. I didn't know what to do. I didn't ask to give blood and I didn't fake my age, eventhough I didn't tell them my correct age either. I've always wanted to give blood! I got my pen ready and pressed it on the form to fill out. For some reason my hand froze and I couldn't write. Was I about to break the law. Would my blood be good enough? Is there a health reason in why the age limit was 17, for both me and whoever may accept my blood. I looked up at Craig for advise and he told me hes coming back in a few weeks. I stood up, took a deep breath and gave my form back.

Have I blown my chance to give blood and contribute in making a difference? Should I go back in a few weeks with Craig and try again? Is there anything wrong with giving blood under age?

1 Comments:

At 11:22 PM, Blogger Gordon said...

I want the world to know that I TRIED!!! they wouldn't have me

 

Post a Comment

<< Home